Here’s a video of Bill O’Reilly fighting the good War on Christmas fight yet again.
I wouldn’t feel good about myself after taking the time to write an essay, so just a few quick points:
1) This is a very weird argument.
2) Religion defined in a general, non-sectarian way is still religion.
3) He’s trying to legitimize a certain set of symbols and practices dominating the public sphere by insisting it’s somehow neutral. (But it isn’t.)
4) American Civil religion and Christian religion are bedfellows, which could make for discussions a lot more interesting than the typical “War on Christmas” schtick.
5) We should probably get civil religion out of the public sphere, too. But that’s maybe impossible since a govt. will always have rituals.